English : Mahjong Danmark
This forum is for all sorts of mahjong related issues, but all messages MUST be in English.
The fastest message board....ever.
Benjamin Boas: Fulbright project on Japanese Mahjong culture
Posted by: Tina (IP Logged)
Date: May 17, 2007 04:02PM

Hello Tina,

I'm so glad I'll be able to join you in June!

I have some big news that I'd like to share with you, as well as the OEMC committee and European Mahjong community. I am about to graduate from Brown University in America and have recently learned that I have received a Fulbright Fellowship to Japan for the study of Mahjong culture. I don't know if you've heard of the Fulbright Program, but it's the US government's premier scholarship program and very well known in this country. My particular grant is for a year of independent research, starting next September, with the intention of completing a manuscript for a book on the culture of Japanese Mahjong. This is a subject I've been researching for the past two years for an undergraduate honors thesis. I've been to Japan several times for fieldwork and interviews and am familiar with the Japanese Mahjong world, including the Mahjong Museum and its supporters, including JMOC and Mr. Kyoichiro Noguchi.

I was hoping to get a head start on my research when I am in Copenhagen. While my focus is on Japanese Mahjong culture, I'd also like to cover its influence on the rest of the world. I have interviewed many people in Japan about this subject and I would love the chance to interview people involved with OEMC and Mahjong Denmark when I am in Copenhagen. I am particularly interested in the spread of International/Chinese Official rules in Europe, as well as Denmark's Mahjong world, where Japanese (modern) rules seem to be popular.

It would be very helpful if you could spread my request around, and perhaps even grant me some interview time personally. I can be fairly flexible with arrangements, interviews would not need to take place during the tournament since I plan on backpacking in Europe for several weeks after it ends. Since I'm still fairly young and new to the Mahjong community, your introduction would make a big difference and be much appreciated. I don't think I've yet met many anyone who will be at OEMC, not even my teammates! Because I came to learn Mahjong through an interest in Japan, I actually don't know any English speakers involved besides Ryan Morris.

I realize this is a sudden request, but I will be thankful for any cooperation you can give me. Thank you very much, and I look forward to meeting you next month!

Sincerely,
Benjamin W. Boas

Tina

Subject Views Written By Posted
Benjamin Boas: Fulbright project on Japanese Mahjong culture 8580 Tina 05/17/07 04:02PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.